Do you have children and are in need of help?

The Children Act 1989 places a duty on Local Authorities to provide services to children and their families who are within their area.

Authorities are required to;

  • to safeguard and promote the welfare of children within their area who are in need; and
  • so far as is consistent with that duty, to promote the upbringing of such children by their families,

This may be done by providing a range and level of services appropriate to those children's needs. These include accommodation, benefit in kind (such as food vouchers, clothing, travel costs) and in exceptional circumstances cash.

The Children Act imposes a general duty on local authorities to safeguard and promote the welfare of children within their area who are "in need". This applies to all children in the UK regardless of their nationality or immigration status.

A child is a "child in need" if

  • the child is unlikely to achieve or maintain, or to have the opportunity of achieving or maintaining, a reasonable standard of health or development without the provision of services by a local authority
  • the child's health or development is likely to be significantly impaired, or further impaired, without the provision of such services; or
  • the child is disabled,

As long as it is not contrary to the welfare of the child, the Children Act provides that a local authority should promote the upbringing of children in need "by their families".

"Family" includes any person who has parental responsibility for the child and any other person with whom the child has been living.

The Assessment Process

  1. Request Assessment - the Local Authority should respond to this request within 24 hours
  2. The Local Authority will conduct the Assessment and determine whether the child is a "child in need"
  3. The Local Authority will prepare a child in need plan
  4. Regular Reviews
  5. Reassessment of needs if necessary - i.e. change in circumstances

How can we help?

  • Accommodation if your family is homeless and they have exhausted all Housing options
  • Request assistance in kind including cash payments (such as fuel payments for heating or lighting, and food vouchers) where your family has no income means
  • Assistance for families with no recourse to public funds due to immigration status
  • Provision of services for children with a disability

Contact Us

For an initial discussion about your case, call us on 020 3026 2548 or complete the online form.